Food

Year 7

Students are introduced to a specialist food room for the first time.

We discuss all aspects of hygiene – personal, food and kitchen hygiene; look at equipment, washing up, the use of the cooker, weighing & measuring, using electrical equipment. Recipes selected are designed to build on these areas, teaching students new skills week by week. We also focus on teaching students to work independently, being able to follow recipes and instructions, step-by-step.

Scheme of Work Summary:

  • Fruit Fusion
  • Healthy Coleslaw
  • Spicy Tomato Soup
  • Pizza
  • All-In-One Cakes
  • Layered Pasta Salad
  • Savoury Rice
  • Flapjacks

Recipes are selected to demonstrate a range of skills, reinforcing techniques and using a variety of ingredients, so students gain a wide experience of working with food.

Year 8

Following on from last year, we focus on bread-making and demonstrating how to adapt a basic recipe to make sweet and savoury products.

Students continue by learning to cook a range of basic meals using higher-risk ingredients such as meat and chicken. We also continue to reinforce good hygienic working, organisation, teamwork and independent working.

Scheme of Work Summary:

  • Bread Rolls
  • Herb & Onion Twists
  • Chelsea Buns
  • Pizza
  • Herby Vegetable Crumble
  • Chicken Curry
  • Spaghetti Bolognese
  • Fajitas

Year 10

The main focus of this year is to focus on building skills and techniques.

We work with a wide range of recipes such as pastry-based products, meat & poultry, fish, pasta and vegetarian products. We are also working on exam questions each week, enabling students to approach their exam with confidence.

Scheme of Work Summary:
WJEC GCSE  in Hospitality & Catering (Single Award), The types of dishes we have cooked this year include:

Pastry products such as:

  • Lemon Meringue Pie
  • Chicken Pie
  • Cornish Pasties

Ravioli – making pasta from scratch

Year 11

In their final year, students start working on their Controlled Assessment Tasks: there are 2 tasks, worth a total of 60% towards the final mark. The written paper contributes the other 40%.

Within the tasks students have to work in 3 key areas:

  • Investigation & Planning – using a variety of research methods, students discuss and research into their chosen task. In school, we run taste-testing and trials to assist students in making choices.
  • Making – students select 4 dishes to cook in 1 3 hour session.
  • Evaluating – students have to look at their work objectively, identifying good & bad points, and suggesting how they can improve.

Some tasks also look at nutritional information and costing.

Scheme of Work Summary:
Students make their own choices of dishes to cook based on:

  • the project brief
  • their own research and choices.

This year, our project briefs have focused on:

  • International Food - students researched and cooked from a huge variety of countries, such as UK, France, Italy and Jamaica.
  • Fruit and Vegetables - students could use any fruit or vegetable – eg. fresh, tinned, frozen, dried – to cook 4 dishes (didn't have to be vegetarian).

Useful Websites - Food Technology

Assorted chef websites:

The Holmesdale School
The Holmesdale School
Malling Road, Snodland, Kent ME6 5HS
Tel: 01634 240416 Fax: 01634 244041
Email:

Latest News

Warhammer Team Win Award
Congratulations to our Warhammer 40,000 team who came away from the recent semi-finals held at Wa... - Read more »

Neal Zetter - Poet Visit
A group of budding poets left before school started this morning to head off to Wilmington Gramma... - Read more »

Reading Buddies - Drop Everything and Read
This term the Reading Buddies groups all gathered in the library to Drop Everything and Read. - Read more »

Safer Internet Day
Today is Safer Internet Day. Throughout this week, our young people will be learning in PSHE less... - Read more »