This subject may be taught over one or two years at Key Stage 4
Years 9, 10 and 11
The Edexcel BTEC level 2 First Award in Sport encourages personal development through practical participation and performance in a range of sports and exercise activities. The course gives learners a wider understanding and appreciation of health-related fitness, sports and exercise through a selection of specialist units. Students are encouraged to develop their people, communication, planning and team-working skills.
Scheme of Work Summary:
- Unit 1 - Fitness for Sport and Exercise: Know about the components of fitness and the principles of training, explore different fitness training methods and investigate fitness testing to determine fitness levels.
- Unit 2 - Practical Sports Performance: Understand the rules, regulations and scoring systems for selected sports, practically demonstrate skills, techniques and tactics in selected sports and be able to review sports performance.
- Unit 5 – Training for Personal Fitness: Design a personal fitness training programme, know about exercise adherence factors and strategies for continued training success, implement a self-designed personal fitness training programme to achieve own goals and objectives, review a personal fitness training programme.
- Unit 6 - Leading Sports Activities: Know the attributes associated with successful sports leadership, undertake the planning and leading of sports activities and review the planning and leading of sports activities.
Years 12 and 13
These BTEC qualifications in Sport provide an introduction to the sector for learners looking to build a career in sport, within one of its occupational areas. These areas include careers in exercise and fitness, coaching and leadership, sports development and the outdoors
The BTEC qualifications in this specification have been developed to:
- Give students the opportunity to enter employment in the sport and active leisure sector or to progress to higher education.
- Give students the opportunity to develop a range of techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
Scheme of Work Summary: BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Sport (Equivalent to 2 A-Levels)
Unit 1: Anatomy and Physiology
Unit 2: Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being
Unit 3: Professional Development in the Sports Industry
Unit 4: Sports Leadership
Unit 5: Application of Fitness Testing
Unit 7: Practical Sports Performance
Unit 10: Sports Event Organisation
Unit 22: Investigating Business in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry
Unit 24: Sports Performance Analysis
Units 1, 2 and 22 are externally assessed units in the form of an exam or controlled assessment. All other units are assignment based and marked in school.
There is also an option to study the extended certificate which is a reduced amount of units with the qualification equivalent to one A-Level.