Art

Year 7

In Year 7 we aim to teach students the necessary skills to work with confidence, taking pride in what they achieve and producing work to a high standard. 

Students develop their skills in using a wide range of media including drawing, painting, collage, and printmaking. Students will improve their understanding of a range of artists who focus on still life.

Scheme of Work Summary:

  • Term 1 -  Baseline Test
  • Terms 1 and 2 - Still life artist Giorgio Morandi, drawing and painting
  • Terms 3 and 4 -  Still life artist Ben Nicholson, drawing and collagraph printing
  • Terms 5 and 6 - Still life artist Michael Craig Martin and Patrick Caulfield, drawing and block printing

Year 8

In Year 8 we build upon skills and extend students subject knowledge in a range of media including drawing, painting, printing and relief work.

Students continue developing their artist knowledge by looking at artists who focus on the theme Landscape and Cityscape.

Scheme of Work Summary:

  • Terms 1and 2 -  Landscape artist Andre Derain, drawing and painting
  • Terms 3 and 4 - Landscape and Cityscape artist Anne Garney, drawing and mono printing
  • Terms 5 and 6 - Landscape and Cityscape artist Hundertwasser, drawing  and 3D relief

Year 9

Art is an optional subject in Year 9. The GCSEs consist of a range of projects which allow for subject knowledge to be developed and students are encouraged to explore their own ideas and to work independently. The projects hit key requirements of the course and introduce learners to different medias and techniques.

Scheme of Work Summary:

  • Project 1 - Cultural/ Festivals, Mixed-media Painting
  • Project 2 - Natural Forms: Mini Beasts, Plants, Shells, 3D Sculpture
  • Project 3 (mock exam ) - Still Life: Close-ups/Viewpoints, Mixed-media print
  • AQA: Externally Set Exam

Year 10

The students who opted in Year 9 will complete their GCSE at the end of Year 10. The students will work on their mock exam project and their externally set Art exam, worth 40% of their GCSE grade; the remaining 60% is their coursework.  The exam board will give a range of different themes and the students will develop a response based on one of these themes.

A second option block can be taken in Year 10 and these students will complete in Year 11

  • Project 1 – Architectural Viewpoints, Mixed-media painting
  • Project 2 - Cultural/ Festivals, Mixed-media painting

Year 11

The students who opted in Year 10 will complete their GCSE with an externally set Art exam worth 40% of their GCSE grade; the remaining 60% is their coursework.  The exam board will give a range of different themes and the students will develop a response based on one of these themes.

Scheme of Work Summary:

  • Project 3 (mock exam) - Portraits, Mixed-media 2D/3D
  • AQA: Externally Set Exam

Useful Links
http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/art_dan_dra_mus/new/art_materials.php?tabid=1

Year 12

Students will complete their AS level with two units of work.

  • Unit 1 - Is a coursework portfolio consisting of their summer project, which will continue into the year and a mini life drawing project.  This unit is worth 50% of AS, 25% of A Level
  • Unit 2 - is their AS Externally Set Assignment set by the AQA exam board; this is worth 50% of AS, 25% of A Level

Scheme of Work Summary:

  • Growth and Decay, Human Presence
  • Life Drawing mini project
  • AQA:  Externally Set Exam

Year 13

Art and Design GCE – Art: Students will complete their A level with a further two units of work. 

  • Unit 3 - is a personal response and a written assignment based on their personal response. Unit three is worth 25% of the A Level/50% of A2
  • Unit 4 - is their A Level Externally Set Assignment set by the AQA exam board; this is worth 25% of A Level/50% of the A2

Scheme of Work Summary:
Personal response supported by a written element of approximately 1000 words

  • AQA: Externally Set Exam

Useful Links - Art

There aren’t really many good website to help students with their drawings, they really just need to practice their drawings skills, there are some good books e.g. Ray Smith – how to draw and Paint what you see, or Giovanni Civardi the art of Drawings, drawings techniques.

But some good website for images and galleries which would add to the artist knowledge and have some drawings information are:

The Holmesdale School
The Holmesdale School
Malling Road, Snodland, Kent ME6 5HS
Tel: 01634 240416 Fax: 01634 244041
Email:

Latest News

Warhammer Team Win Award
Congratulations to our Warhammer 40,000 team who came away from the recent semi-finals held at Wa... - Read more »

Neal Zetter - Poet Visit
A group of budding poets left before school started this morning to head off to Wilmington Gramma... - Read more »

Reading Buddies - Drop Everything and Read
This term the Reading Buddies groups all gathered in the library to Drop Everything and Read. - Read more »

Safer Internet Day
Today is Safer Internet Day. Throughout this week, our young people will be learning in PSHE less... - Read more »