Spanish is the subsidiary modern foreign language taught at Holmesdale. Most students study one lesson of Spanish per week in addition to studying French. The Key Stage 3 course in Year 7 revolves around the Listos 1 coursebook, the emphasis being on the four key skills for language learning - listening, speaking, reading and writing and also developing new vocabulary into longer sentences and being able to extend sentences and give simple opinions.
Scheme of Work Summary:
- Terms 1 and 2 - Talk about yourself, your age, birthday, language of the classroom, the Spanish alphabet.
- Terms 3 and 4 - Talk about other languages and countries, say where you are from and where you live, talk about brothers and sisters and pets, describe your hair and eyes.
- Terms 5 and 6 - Talk about school, school subjects, tell the time in Spanish.
Most students continue to study one lesson of Spanish per week following the Listos 1 coursebook. As well as continuing to focus on listening, speaking, reading and writing skills, in Year 8 there is a greater emphasis on developing vocabulary, grammar and understanding longer texts.
Scheme of Work Summary:
- Terms 1 and 2 - Talk about where you live, describing your house and daily routine.
- Terms 3 and 4 - Talk about your local area, describe the weather, and give simple directions.
- Terms 5 and 6 - Talk about free time, make plans for the weekend and household jobs.
Years 9 and 10
Students who have opted for GCSE Spanish begin a two-year course with accreditation from the WJEC Exam Board. The syllabus is divided into examination in the four skills of listening (20% final exam), speaking (30% Controlled Assessment), reading (20% final exam), and writing (30% Controlled Assessment)
Students work from the GCSE for Spanish coursebook.
Language learning becomes more sophisticated, with students building on Key Stage 3 topics, learning to use different tenses and respond to different situations with increasing confidence.
Scheme of Work Summary: Year 9
- Term 1 - Talk about yourself, your family, your daily routine and life at home. Preparation for Controlled Assessment Writing – All About Me.
- Term 2 - Talk about where you live and compare it with other places. Describe travel and use of public transport in Spain.
- Term 3 - Talk about school life, part-time jobs and future plans. Preparation for Controlled Assessment Speaking – School.
- Term 4 - Talk about holidays, destinations, choose and book and holiday. Prepare for Controlled Assessment Writing – A Previous Holiday.
- Terms 5 and 6 - Preparation for Controlled Assessment Speaking Task - Home Life. Consolidation of the year and preparation for end of year exams.
Scheme of Work Summary: Year 10
- Terms 1 and 2 - Talk about daily routine, health, illness, diet, sport and fitness. Preparation for Controlled Assessment Speaking and Writing Task – How Fit and Healthy Am I?
- Term 3 - Talk about free time and leisure, making arrangements to go out with friends, express views and films and TV programmes.
- Terms 4 and 5 - Talk about local environment, threats and dangers, conservation and recycling. Revision and preparation for final exams of Listening (20%) and Reading (20%)