The Key Stage 3 course in Year 7 revolves around the Listos 1 course book, the emphasis being on the four key skills for language learning - listening, speaking, reading and writing and also developing new vocabulary into longer sentences and being able to extend sentences and give simple opinions.
Scheme of Work Summary:
- Term 1 – Introduce yourself and others. Say how old you are. Learn Spanish alphabet. Describe what you have in your school bag.
- Term 2 – Talk about where you live. Talk about your brothers/sisters. Talk about pets. Describe what you look like
- Term 3 – Talk about school subjects and give opinions. Tell the time. Describe your school
- Term 4 – Talk about where we live. Describe your house. Describe your daily routine.
- Term 5 – Describe your town/village. Ask for directions. Say where places are. Describe the weather.
- Term 6 – Talk about free time activities. Talk about what you like doing in your free time
Some students study two lessons of Spanish per week following the Listos 2 coursebook. As well as continuing to focus on listening, speaking, reading and writing skills, in Year 8 there is a greater emphasis on developing vocabulary, grammar and understanding longer texts.
Scheme of Work Summary:
- Term 1- Describe people. Talk about our family. Make comparisons. Write a thank you letter
- Term 2 – Talk about food and meal times. Express opinions about food. Talk about healthy eating.
- Term 3 – Describe clothes. Learn about prices. Describe your uniform. Talk about what you are going to wear.
- Term 4 – Talk about holidays. Describe places of interest. Talk about a past holiday.
- Term 5 – Talk about films. Describe what you did last weekend. Talk about future plans
- Term 6 – Say where something hurts. Give advice about healthy habits. Learn about body parts
Students continue their study of Spanish by increasing their vocabulary, moving onto the Listos 3 textbook. The emphasis is still on grammar, together with understanding longer texts and producing more detailed paragraphs.
Scheme of Work Summary:
- Term 1- Revise introduction. Describe your family. Describe your house/flat. Describe the place where you live.
- Term 2 – Revise subjects and times. Revise classroom language. Talk about your school. Describe what you do at school. Talk about your daily routine.
- Term 3 – Revise holidays. Revise food and restaurant language. Book a table and order food. Ask for tourist information. Describe what you did on holiday.
- Term 4 – Revise directions and places in town. Get travel information. Find your way around. Deal with accidents and breakdowns. Describe what happened.
- Term 5 – Revise parts of the body. Say why you feel ill and take advice. Describe what has happened. Book hotel accommodation. Find our information.
- Term 6 – Revise films, meals and numbers. Say what you do to help at home. Talk about how you spend your money. Describe your lifestyle. Talk about TV programmes and films.
Year 10 & 11
Students who have opted for GCSE Spanish begin a two-year course with accreditation from the AQA Exam Board. The syllabus is divided into examination in the four skills of listening (25% final exam), speaking (25%), reading (25% final exam), and writing (25% final exam)
Students work from the Viva course book.
Language learning becomes more sophisticated, with students building on Key Stage 3 topics, learning to use different tenses and respond to different situations with increasing confidence.
Scheme of Work Summary: Year 10
- Term 1- Discuss holidays activities and weather. Revise the present tense. Talk about holiday preferences. Talk about a past holiday. Use the preterite tense. Describe a trip. Give opinions in the past. Book accommodation and deal with problems. Understand higher numbers. Identify positive and negative opinions.
- Term 2- Give opinions about school subjects. Describe subjects and teachers. Describe school uniform and the school day. Describe your school. Use negatives. Talk about school rules. Talk about plans for a school exchange. Use the near future tense. Talk about activities and achievements.
- Term 3- Talk about socialising and family. Describe people. Talk about social networks. Extend responses. Make arrangements. Improvise dialogues. Talk about reading preferences. Describe relationships.
- Term 4 – Talk about free-time activities. Talk about TV programmes and films. Talk about what you usually do. Talk about sports. Discuss different types of entertainment. Talk about who inspires you.
- Term 5& 6 – Talk about places in a town or a city. Talk about shops. Plan what to do. Shop for clothes and presents. Talk about problems in a town. Describe a visit in the past.
Scheme of Work Summary: Year 11
- Term 1 – Describe meal times. Talk about illnesses and injuries. Talk about typical foods. Compare different festivals. Describe a special day. Order in a restaurant.
- Term 2- Talk about different jobs. Talk about you earn money. Talk about language and travel. Apply for a summer job. Discuss plans for the future.
- Term 3 – Describe types of houses. Talk about healthy eating. Consider global issues. Talk about local actions. Discuss healthy lifestyles. Talk about international sporting events.
- Terms 4 – Preparation for speaking exam. Revision for Listening, Reading and Writing exam.
- Term 5 – Preparation for Listening, Reading and Writing Exam.